HOLD US TO HIGHER STANDARDS
The way Zonatherm employees approach their work and interact with customers is the key to our success, and we've put our high standards for performance in writing. We know, if our employees follow our "Fundamentals," they'll take pride in their work and strive to be the best, every day.
1. PUT YOURSELF IN THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES. (Al’s favorite) Understand your customer’s world, including their work rules and culture. Know their challenges and frustrations. See the world from their perspective. Treat them the way you would want to be treated if the roles were reversed. The better you understand them, the more effectively you can anticipate and meet their needs.
2. DO WHAT’S BEST FOR THE CUSTOMER. In all situations, act in the best interests of our customer, even if it’s to our own detriment. There’s no greater way to build a reputation than to earn the trust of those we serve, and there’s no greater way to build trust than to do what’s right for others. Every day.
3. ACT WITH INTEGRITY. Demonstrate an unwavering commitment to doing the right thing in every action you take and in every decision you make, even when no one’s looking. Always tell the truth. If you make a mistake, own up to it, apologize, and make it right. Be impeccable with your word.
4. MAKE QUALITY PERSONAL. Take pride in the quality of everything you touch and everything you do. Always ask yourself, “Is this my best work?” Everything you touch has your signature and makes a statement about you. Make sure it’s a statement of excellence.
5. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. The goal is to get things “right”, not simply to get them “done.” While we always want to work with a sense of urgency, sometimes we need to slow down in order to speed up. Double-check your work.
6. BE A FANATIC ABOUT RESPONSE TIME. People expect us to respond to questions and concerns quickly, whether it’s in person, on the phone, or by e-mail. Keep all those involved continuously updated on the status of outstanding issues. Getting back to people promptly is one way to demonstrate your passion for excellence.
7. TAKE OWNERSHIP. Take personal responsibility for making things happen – somehow, someway. Respond to every situation by looking for how we can do it, rather than explaining why it can’t be done. Be resourceful and show initiative. Don’t make excuses. Take the extra step to solve the problem. See issues through to their completion.
8. THINK SAFE. WORK SAFE. Know and practice the safety procedures for your job. Watch out for the safety of your teammates as well, for you are your brother’s keeper. Never take shortcuts that compromise your safety or that of your teammates.
9. HONOR COMMITMENTS. Deliver on your commitments every time. This includes being on time for all phone calls, appointments, meetings, and promises. Do what you say you’re going to do, when you say you’re going to do it. If a commitment can’t be fulfilled, notify others early and agree on a new commitment to be honored.
10. DELIVER LEGENDARY CUSTOMER SERVICE. Put simply, we exist for no other reason than to serve our customers – external and internal ones. Customer satisfaction is for lesser companies. Take the extra steps necessary to blow away our customers with amazing service experiences that create stories and customer loyalty. Remember that our most important relationship is with the customer, not with the equipment. Do the unexpected.
11. WORK SMART. Be organized and plan your work for maximum efficiency. Have all the tools necessary before starting your work. Be thoughtful about your schedule, and have a game plan for your calls, your tasks, and your workday. Know the priorities and work on them first.
12. HAVE EACH OTHER’s BACKS. No one’s perfect. Look for the best in each other, and provide rigorous support, including honest and direct feedback. Be willing to step into another role or help a co-worker when that’s what’s required for success. Consider how your actions impact your teammates. There’s no such thing as one person or one department succeeding and another falling short. We win and lose as a team.
13. PRACTICE BLAMELESS PROBLEM-SOLVING. Apply your creativity, spirit, and enthusiasm to developing solutions, rather than pointing fingers or dwelling on problems. Identify lessons learned and use those lessons to improve our processes so we don’t make the same mistake again. Get smarter with every mistake. Learn from every experience.
14. INVEST IN RELATIONSHIPS. Make decisions that enhance long-term relationships. Consider the effect your actions and decisions will have on cultivating enduring partnerships. Keep in mind that our goal is create long-term success.
15. LISTEN GENEROUSLY. Listening is more than simply “not speaking.” Give people your undivided attention. Be present and engaged. Quiet the noise in your head and let go of the need to agree or disagree. Create open space for team members to express themselves without judgment. Listen with care and with empathy. Most importantly, listen to understand.
16. SPEAK STRAIGHT. Speak honestly in a way that moves the action forward. Make clear and direct requests. With a focus on being constructive, say what you mean, and be willing to ask questions, share ideas, or raise issues that may cause conflict when it’s necessary for team success. Address issues directly with those who are involved or affected.
17. CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR. It’s not about you. Don’t let your ego get in the way of doing what’s best for the team. Worrying about who gets credit or taking things personally is counterproductive. Demonstrate humility and make sure every decision is based solely on advancing team goals and doing what’s best for the customer.
18. DELIVER RESULTS While effort is appreciated, we reward and celebrate results. Set high goals, use measurements to track your progress, and hold yourself accountable for achieving those results.
19. CELEBRATE SUCCESS. Catching people doing things right is more effective than catching them doing things wrong. Regularly give, receive, and ask for meaningful acknowledgement and appreciation – in all directions throughout our company.
20. CONTINUOUSLY SEEK IMPROVEMENT. Regularly reevaluate every aspect of your job to find ways to improve. Don’t be satisfied with the status quo. “Because we’ve always done it that way” is not a reason. Be a lifetime learner. The most successful people and organizations are in a never-ending pursuit of improvement.
21. GET CLEAR ON EXPECTATIONS. Create clarity and avoid misunderstandings by discussing expectations upfront. Establish mutually understood objectives and deadlines for all projects, issues, and commitments. Confirm your communication by asking others to repeat back their understanding to ensure total clarity and agreement.
22. TAKE PRIDE IN OUR APPEARANCE. Making sure your personal appearance, your vehicle, your workspace, and our shop are neat, clean, and orderly inspires confidence in our quality. If you see it, take care of it. Take pride in being a Zonatherm team member. Leave things better than you found them. (Another Al favorite)
23. COLLABORATE. Share information and work together. Learn to ask yourself, “Who else needs to know this?” Collaborate internally and with our customers and partners to find better solutions. Collaboration generates better ideas than working alone. Don’t be a martyr or fly solo. Be inclusive.
24. LEAD BY EXAMPLE. The best way to influence others is through your own example. Take responsibility, both formally and informally, to coach, guide, teach, and mentor others. Don’t wait for others to change. Be the change you want to see.
25. “BRING IT” EVERY DAY. Everyone is needed and everyone’s important. Be here and be fully engaged. Make the most of each day by approaching every task with energy, focus, purpose, and enthusiasm.
26. BE PROACTIVE. Anticipate customer needs. Solve problems before they happen by anticipating future needs and addressing them today. Preventing issues is always more effective than fixing them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
27. TREASURE, PROTECT, AND PROMOTE OUR REPUTATION. We’re all responsible for, and benefit from, the Zonatherm image and reputation. Consider how your actions affect our collective reputation, and act in a way that brings honor to Zonatherm.
28. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. You are the author of your life’s story. Don’t be a “victim.” Ask for what you need and take full responsibility for your success.
29. FOLLOW-UP EVERYTHING. Record a follow-up date for every action and take responsibility to see that it gets completed. Persistence is often the difference between success and failure. We get paid to get things done, not simply to put them in motion.
30. KEEP THINGS FUN. While our passion for excellence is real, remember that the world has bigger problems than the daily challenges that make up our work. Stuff happens. Keep perspective. Don’t take things personally or take yourself too seriously. Laugh every day.